Returning Residents

Home / Returning Residents

Home / Coming To or Exiting Australia / Returning Residents

In This Section

Returning Residents

You are eligible for such a returning visa in the following case:

  • You currently do or used to reside in Australia
  • You used to be an Australian citizen
  • You used to be part of the army and you come up to the Australian Armed Forces’ requirements and fulfil those for a ‘defence service applicant’ under Migration Regulations 2007

Visa options allow a returning resident to:

  • Live in Australia as a permanent resident, and
  • Travel to and from Australia for up to five years from the date the visa is granted

Applications for a returning resident visa can be made both inside or outside Australia.

Applying Either Inside or Outside Australia

Visa option 1

If you are:

  • An Australian permanent resident,
  • A former Australian permanent resident whose last permanent visa was not cancelled, or
  • A former Australian citizen who lost or renounced their citizenship

And you want to:

  • Keep or regain your status as an Australian permanent resident

Visa option 2

If you:

  • Spent most of your life in Australia as an Australian permanent resident before turning 18, never acquired Australian citizenship, and have not yet turned 45, or
  • Are a former member of the Australian Defence Services and meet the definition of a ‘defence service applicant’ in the Migration Regulations 2007

And you want the option to:

  • Include your partner and dependent family members in your application