Working In Australia

Home / Working In Australia

Working in Australia

This section will cover information regarding how to apply for work visas, skilled occupations available in Australia, and licensing and registration requirements for employment. It will also provide information on regional employment.

Australia is a country of diverse cultures and landscapes. People here enjoy a high quality of life and the Australian government provides anyone willing to be a part of this lifestyle a chance to do so. If the high quality of life and the climate of Australia sounds good to you, and if you want to look for work in a country with a lot of opportunities, the you should consider Australia.

A work visa in Australia will give you the opportunity to live and work in Australia, either as a temporary or a permanent resident.

What are the different kinds of work visas available?

Skilled migration visas You may be eligible for this visa if you are a skilled worker in your country of residence and your expertise is needed in Australia.

Sponsored or nominated work visas You will be eligible for a sponsored or nominated work visa if you are nominated or sponsored by either an approved Australian business or employer, a territory government or state agency, or directly by a territory or state authority.

Visas for workers employed in regional employment Young, skilled workers who have English speaking skills can work in one of Australia’s regional areas. Such workers can apply for this visa.

A working holiday visa People within the age range of 18-30 years who want to work and holiday in Australia for up to a year are eligible for applying for a working holiday visa. This visa allows you to work in Australia while having a holiday. You will attain the opportunity of sharing your knowledge, skills and culture while discovering the unique sights and sounds of Australia.

For workers

Skilled Migration Visa Workers in Australia need to apply for a Skilled Migration visa. The first step in doing this is going through the processes of Points Tested Skilled Migration or General Skilled Migration. You will need to submit an Expression of Interest, also known as EOI, in SkillSelect.

SkillSelect is the Australian government’s online system made for assistance in the skilled migration process. SkillSelect is a system that can be used to submit the EOI for all subclasses of the skilled visa, which include points tested skilled migration visas, business visas or employer sponsored visas. For the submission of business and points tested visas, SkillSelect is a compulsory part of the process. It is not compulsory for employer sponsored visas. Before you can submit your EOI, you need to meet the minimum requirements of the visa subclass that you are applying for. Once your EOI has been submitted, you may be invited to apply for a skilled migration visa.Visas which require you to submit an EOI include: Skilled-Independent visa (subclass 189), Skilled-Nominated visa (subclass 190) and Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489).

Nominated or Sponsored workers You can be sponsored or nominated by an employer for both temporary and permanent visas.

Temporary work visas If you would like to be sponsored for the duration of 1 day to four years, then you are eligible for a Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457). The employer that is nominating you must be approved as a sponsor and nominate your position before you can be granted the visa.

Employers must meet sponsorship obligations

Approved sponsors must meet certain sponsorship obligations. The obligations that they must meet will depend on the type of sponsor.

Permanent Employer Sponsored Visas Through the Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186), employers in Australia can sponsor skilled workers to remain in Australia on a permanent basis.

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme This visa allows a skilled worker to stay in Australia on a permanent basis and work in a regional area (subclass 187).

Visas for working in the offshore oil and gas industry All workers from overseas must hold a visa to work in Australia’s offshore oil and gas industry.

Visas for Investors For investors, the provisional Business Innovation and Investment visa (subclass 188) is an option. After you have provided satisfactory evidence of a specified level of investment activity in Australia, you can apply for a permanent residence under the Permanent Business Innovation and Investment visa (subclass 888).A point to note is that SkillSelect is compulsory for Business Innovation and Investment visa (subclass 188). If you are a holder of the Provisional Business Skills Investor visa, then you can consider the following permanent visas: Investor visa (subclass 891) and State/Territory Sponsored Investor visa (subclass 893).

The Provisional Business Skills Investor visa is no longer open to new applicants.Visas for Business ownersIf you are the owner of a business in Australia, or want to establish a newor existing business in Australia, then you can look towards the Business Innovation and Investment visa (subclass 188). After satisfactory evidence of a specified level of business activity in Australia has been provided, you may want to apply for a permanent residence under the Permanent Business Innovation and Investment visa (subclass 888).

Business-minded migrants can also apply for the Business Talent visa (subclass 132) to get direct permanent residence, given that they have high-level business skills or have obtained funding from an Australian venture capital firm.SkillSelect is mandatory for Business Innovation and Investment visa (subclass 188) and Business Talent visa (subclass 132).If you currently hold a Provisional Business Skills visa, which is no longer open to new applicants, then you can consider applying for permanent residence through the following visas:

  • Business Owner visa (subclass 890)
  • State/Territory Sponsored Business Owner visa (subclass 892).

Other working visas that are temporary If you wish to come to Australia for short-term work, then you are eligible for the Temporary Work (Short Stay Activity) visa (subclass 400). With this visa, you can do short-term, highly specialized, temporary work in Australia.If you are planning to come to Australia for a high-level sports competition, exchange arrangements, religious work, or domestic work in the household of senior foreign executives, then you can be eligible for the Temporary Work (Long Stay Activity) visa (subclass 401). You will need a sponsor to be granted this visa.If you are planning on coming to Australia for work in the entertainment industry, then you may be eligible for the Temporary Work or the Entertainment visa (subclass 420). You will need to be sponsored by an employer in the field of entertainment for this particular one.

Bringing family with you while holding a work visa If you are currently working in Australia, then you can bring your family to Australia under the following circumstances.

  • Your family members are included in the application of your working visa
  • Your family members apply for visas by using the Family Stream or
  • If your family members apply for a visitor visa to Australia

Work visas Almost all the working visas allow you to include your family members as applicants when you fill out your visa application. The family members you can include in the application vary from visa to visa, and you may be able to include:

  • Your partner
  • Your children (including your partner’s dependent children)
  • Other dependent relatives

Options for visas for your family members If you are currently a permanent resident of Australia or an Australian citizen, then your family can apply for visas included within the Family Stream. Visa options for family members include: partner category visa options, child and adoption visa options, parent visa options, caretaker visa options, and relative visa options.

Visiting visasIf your family wishes to visit you for a short time only in Australia, then they can apply for a visitor visa.